Tax file numbers (TFNs) are issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and used to identify your tax records. Your TFN is unique and valid for life, even if you change jobs, move interstate or change your name. If you leave the country and later come back to Australia on another visa you still use the same TFN.
Why do you need a TFN?
- Without one, your employer must take 46.5% of your wages in tax
- Financial institutions are required to tax your interest at 46.5%
- Your tax return or Australian business number (ABN) application may take longer to process
- It is more difficult for the ATO to look up your records and discuss them with you
Keep your TFN safe
Keep your TFN and other personal details like bank account passwords secure by:
- Not carrying them in your purse, wallet or storing them in your mobile phone
- Shredding or destroying documents containing identity details before disposing of them
- Installing up-to-date anti-virus software on your computer
- Only providing your identity details to trusted or reliable organisations
- Making sure if you use a tax agent to complete or lodge your tax return
If you think that someone else has used your TFN, you should phone the ATO on 13 28 61 (Mondays-Fridays, 8.00am-6.00pm).
Apply for your TFN
- Do it yourself - You can apply for your TFN online at the ATO's website www.ato.gov.au, however you need a fixed address to do so. You can setup an ultimateoz mailing address here
- Become a premium member of Travellers at Work and we will apply for your TFN on your behalf